Today we announced our third round of endorsements in the 2020 election cycle, endorsing 16 candidates with exceptional environmental records, including Mondaire Jones in the race to replace Rep. Nita Lowey (CD-17).
Every election year, we develop candidate questionnaires based on our policy priorities, including protecting public health, building a clean energy future, protecting clean water, and mitigating climate change. The NYLCV Board recently voted to make these endorsements on the recommendations of chapters across the state, which make decisions based on interviews with the candidates and questionnaire responses. In the case of incumbents, the boards also consider how the candidate scored on the 2019 NYLCV State Environmental Scorecard or the national LCV Environmental Scorecard, which grade legislators based on votes and co-sponsorships of key environmental legislation. The New York League of Conservation Voters Education Fund held virtual Environmental Candidate Forums for Congressional District 17 and Assembly District 125 to help voters learn more about the candidates’ positions on environmental issues.
Voting for the environment is the best way to advocate for climate action and a sustainable future. This November’s election will be one of the most consequential elections in a generation. It is more important than ever that we elect leaders who will fight for a sustainable future – in Washington and in Albany. We are proud to endorse this group of candidates and urge voters in their districts to join us in casting a ballot for the environment.
Below is this round of endorsed candidates. All endorsements are also available here.
Central & Western New York
- Jim Barber*, Senate District 51
- Jeremy Cooney*, Senate District 56
- Anna Kelles*, Assembly District 125
- Dia Carabajal*, Assembly District 126
- Al Stirpe, Assembly District 127
- Jen Lunsford*, Assembly District 135
- Joe Seeman*, Assembly District 112
- Michael Durso*, Assembly District 9
- Judy Griffin, Assembly District 21
- Michaelle Solages, Assembly District 22
New York City
- Andrew Gounardes, Senate District 22
- Jabari Brisport*, Senate District 25
- Khaleel Anderson*, Assembly District 31
- Brandon Patterson*, Assembly District 64
- Mondaire Jones*, Congressional District 17
- Sean Patrick Maloney, Congressional District 18