Today we announced our final round of endorsements in the 2020 election cycle – 17 candidates with exceptional environmental records. We endorsed in 127 races this year, a record number for the organization, and received more endorsement questionnaires than ever before.
Two races, State Senate Districts 55 and Assembly District 114, included dual endorsements.
Every election year, we develop candidate questionnaires based on its policy priorities, including protecting public health, building a clean energy future, protecting clean water, and addressing climate change.
Our State Board voted to make these endorsements on the recommendations of chapters across the state, which make decisions based on interviews with the candidates and questionnaire responses. In the case of incumbents, the boards also consider how the candidate scored on the 2019 NYLCV State Environmental Scorecard or the national LCV Environmental Scorecard, which grade legislators based on votes and co-sponsorships of key environmental legislation. The New York League of Conservation Voters Education Fund held Environmental Candidate Forums for Congressional Districts 1 and 2, State Senate District 1, and State Senate District 55 to help voters learn more about the candidates’ positions on environmental issues.
One of the most vital things we as voters can do to make positive environmental change is voting people into office who will advocate for our planet and fight for climate action. That’s why we need to elect a pro-environment majority up and down the ballot.
Below is the full list of endorsed candidates. All endorsed candidates can be viewed here.
Central & Western New York
- Samra Brouk*, Senate District 55
- Chris Missick*, Senate District 55
- Scott Comegys*, Assembly District 130
- Matthew Simpson*, Assembly District 114
- Claudia Braymer*, Assembly District 114
- Phil Boyle, Senate District 4
- Laura Jens-Smith*, Assembly District 2
- Philip Ramos, Assembly District 6
New York City
- John Liu, Senate District 11
- Joseph Addabbo Jr., Senate District 15
- Brian Kavanaugh, Senate District 26
- Brian Benjamin, Senate District 30
- Charles Fall, Assembly District 61
- Michael Cusick, Assembly District 63
- Rebecca Seawright, Assembly District 76
- Jamaal Bowman*, Congressional District 16
- Ellen Jaffee, Assembly District 97