The New York League of Conservation Voters is the only statewide environmental organization in New York that fights for clean water, clean air, renewable energy and open space through political action. We’re non-partisan, pragmatic and effective. Along with its sister organizations, the NYLCV Education Fund and the NYLCV PAC, we educate the public about a broad range of important issues, evaluate the performance of elected officials, and endorse and elect by campaigning for the passage of laws during the legislative season and candidates in the electoral season.
We are seeking a dynamic individual to join our staff as Strategic Communications Advisor. This position will take the lead on planning and carrying out the organization’s internal and external communications, working closely with the President, policy, political, and development staff to market NYLCV’s brand and message through multiple communications channels and strategies, including both earned and social media. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who is flexible, entrepreneurial, media- and tech-savvy, and a superior written and oral communicator.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Create and implement a strategic public relations/ communications plan.
- Advise the organization’s president on branding, communications strategy and messaging
- Serve as the primary media contact for the organization, maintain relationships with reporters and editorial boards across New York State, and pitching stories, editorials, and op-eds.
- Provide communications expertise and support for issue-advocacy coalitions that NYLCV participates in, endorsed candidates and political programs.
- Play a leading editorial role in creating and approving content for NYLCV’s member e-mail communications including action alerts, weekly e-newsletters, fundraising appeals, report backs, event invites, etc.
- Produce print materials including newsletters, one-pagers, scorecards, policy agendas, etc.
- Draft speeches, remarks and talking points for NYLCV’s president and Board of Directors for press conferences, media appearances, and events.
- Manage communications interns, fellows and digital/membership staff.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 4 to 7+ years of relevant experience in communications, media relations, non-profit advocacy, political campaigns, or government.
- Strong strategic, analytical, organizational and problem solving skills, as well as attention to detail.
- Proven ability to be an effective and persuasive writer, editor, and communicator
- Existing contacts with media outlets in New York. Prior on-the-record experience is a huge plus.
- Strong technological proficiency, including: Microsoft Office, Google Suite, WordPress, basic HTML, customer relationship software, and fluency within the Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat).
- Experience working within an organization’s brand guidelines and guardianship.
- Ability and willingness to work well as part of a small team.
- Awareness or demonstrated interest in New York City and State politics, and/ or environmental and sustainability policy.
- Flexible, and able to switch tasks as priorities dictate.
Location: NYLCV’s headquarters are located in downtown Manhattan. This position will require minimal travel to periodic events and programming around New York State.
NOTE: All NYLCV positions are temporarily remote due to COVID-19 and travel is rare. The office will fully re-open and in-person events will resume when it is safe to do so.
Compensation: $75,000 – $100,000, commensurate with experience, along with holiday, vacation, 401k plan, and health/dental benefits.
Process: Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted. Please send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.