We recently announced our second round of endorsements in the 2020 election cycle, endorsing 20 candidates with outstanding environmental records, including the endorsement of City Council Member Ritchie Torres in the crowded Congressional District 15 race.
Every election year, we develop candidate questionnaires based on the League’s policy priorities, including protecting public health, building a clean energy future, protecting clean water, and mitigating climate change. The NYLCV Board recently voted to make the endorsements on the recommendations of chapters across the state, which make decisions based on interviews with the candidates and questionnaire responses. In the case of incumbents, the boards also consider how the candidate scored on the 2019 NYLCV State Environmental Scorecard or the national LCV Environmental Scorecard, which grade legislators based on votes and co-sponsorships of key environmental legislation.
New York has had a very productive year of climate leadership on the national and state level, and we need continued strong leadership to create a sustainable, green future. NYLCV is proud to endorse this group of candidates that have proven track records of acting in favor of our environment. While we continue to face a public health crisis in addition to the climate crisis, we urge voters to support these candidates in their upcoming election.
Below is a full list of the second round of endorsed candidates. Click here to see the full list of our endorsements in the 2020 election cycle.
Central & Western New York
- Joe Morelle, Congressional District 25
- Phil Steck, Assembly District 110
- Carrie Woerner, Assembly District 113
New York City
- Hakeem Jeffries, Congressional District 8
- Yvette Clarke, Congressional District 9
- Adriano Espaillat, Congressional District 13
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Congressional District 14
- Ritchie Torres, Congressional District 15*
- Toby Ann Stavisky, Senate District 16
- Roxanne Persaud, Senate District 19
- Jose Serrano, Senate District 29
- Gustavo Rivera, Senate District 33
- David Weprin, Assembly District 24
- Ron Kim, Assembly District 40
- Robert Carroll, Assembly District 44
- Steven Cymbrowitz, Assembly District 45
- Walter Mosley, Assembly District 57
- Robert Rodriguez, Assembly District 68
- Thomas Abinanti, Assembly District 92
- Ken Zebrowski, Assembly District 96