The New York League of Conservation Voters (NYLCV) is the only statewide environmental organization in New York that fights for clean water, clean air, renewable energy, and open space through political action. We’re non-partisan, pragmatic, and effective. Along with its sister organizations, the NYLCV Education Fund, NYLCV PAC, and NYLCV Gives Green, we educate the public about a broad range of important issues, evaluate the performance of elected officials, and endorse and elect by campaigning for the passage of laws during the legislative season and candidates in the electoral season.
Description: The State Policy Associate will be NYLCV’s lead staff in the Capital Region and will report to the Policy Director. During the state legislative session, the associate will work with the legislature, governor’s office, state agencies, partner organizations, and NYLCV members to advance NYLCV’s budget and legislative priorities. The associate will work with NYLCV’s Capital Region chapter to advance local priorities in cities, towns, and counties in the region, primarily when the legislature is not in session. The associate will also help organize forums and other NYLCV Education Fund events in the region. The ideal candidate has familiarity with the State Legislature, or is passionate about protecting the environment and fighting climate change, and has a broad knowledge of the environmental and/or energy issues New York faces.
- Lobby the State Legislature, Governor, State agencies, and Capital Region cities, towns, and counties on NYLCV policy priorities.
- Participate in issue-based coalitions with other advocates and stakeholders.
- Assist in the development of NYLCV’s State and Capital Region policy agendas.
- Schedule meetings for the President and State Policy Director when they are in the region.
- Assist program staff in organizing forums and other public events in the Capital Region.
- Strengthen the organization’s existing relationships, and build new ones, with Capital Region elected officials, advocates, businesses, and academics.
- Bachelor’s degree and 2-5 years of experience in or related to government or advocacy, with a preference for experience with New York State government and/or a background in environmental or energy policy.
- Must be legally allowed to lobby the State Legislature.
- Must be persuasive, both in person and in writing, able to understand stakeholders’ policy concerns and devise a message that speaks to them.
- Ability to work well under remote supervision.
- Able to quickly become familiar with new policy topics as they arise.
- Willing to work more than 40 hours per week during the busiest weeks of the legislative session.
- Experience working with and building coalitions a plus.
- Ability to schedule and manage lobby days.
NYLCV is committed to building a diverse and inclusive team. We strongly encourage applications from all interested candidates.
Location: Albany, NY. NYLCV’s headquarters are located in downtown Manhattan. This position will require travel regularly (monthly) to periodic events and programs to New York City and elsewhere in the State and limited out-of-state travel.
NOTE: All NYLCV positions are temporarily remote due to COVID-19 and travel is rare. The office will fully reopen and in-person events will resume when it is safe to do so.
Application Deadline: March 15, 2021
Salary: $40,000 – $60,000. NYLCV offers a competitive salary and title commensurate with experience.
Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted. Please send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com