The New York League of Conservation Voters (NYLCV) is the only statewide environmental organization in New York that fights for clean water, clean air, renewable energy, and open space through political action. We’re non-partisan, pragmatic and effective. Along with its sister organizations, the NYLCV Education Fund, NYLCV PAC, and NYLCV Gives Green, we educate the public about a broad range of important issues, evaluate the performance of elected officials, and endorse and elect by campaigning for the passage of laws during the legislative season and candidates in the electoral season.
Description: The Deputy Director will be NYLCV’s lead staff for New York City policy under the direction of the NYLCV Policy Director. The position will work with the City Council, Mayor’s office, City agencies, “Green Group” partner organizations, and NYLCV members to advance the organization’s NYC priorities. The Deputy Director will also help organize forums and other NYLCV Education Fund events in NYC. The ideal candidate has familiarity with policymaking in New York City, or is passionate about protecting the environment and fighting climate change, and has a broad knowledge of the environmental and/or energy issues New York faces.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Lead the development and rollout of NYLCV’s annual New York City Policy Agenda.
- Develop relationships with the Mayor’s office and City Council to effectively advocate for the priorities laid out in the policy agenda.
- Monitor City Council legislation and issue memos and draft and deliver testimony for City Council hearings related to NYLCV priorities.
- Work with the communications team on press releases, remarks and press events, etc.
- Issue an annual New York City Council Scorecard that evaluates council members on their environmental progress and holds them accountable for delivering results.
- Convene, manage and build relationships with our New York City Green Group Coalition of over 40 partner organizations and integrate new members, particularly non-traditional allies who may not identify their priorities as environmental issues.
- Jointly organize an annual legislative breakfast with the Green Group and NYC Council.
- Participate in and lead as appropriate coalitions to achieve policy objectives, including the NYC Clean Bus Coalition.
- Serve as the primary liaison to NYLCV’s New York City Chapter Board.
- Provide capacity building, training, and strategic support to local groups elevating local sustainability challenges in citywide policy discussions and winning targeted environmental victories.
- Work with NYLCV’s Education Fund to organize and implement policy forums that convene stakeholders to address complex and timely environmental issues, organize candidate forums, a candidate school, and other non-partisan electoral activities.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in government, public relations, advocacy, or the private sector, with a preference for experience in environmental or energy policy.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent strategic, organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to establish, cultivate and maintain relationships with City officials, staff and organizational partners.
- Ability to think creatively and willingness to use technology and innovation to achieve organizational goals.
- Experience working with and building coalitions is a plus.
- Flexible and able to work more than 40 hours per week during the busiest times and switch tasks as priorities dictate.
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a small team.
- Preference will be given to candidates who are eligible to lobby the City Council and/or City agencies on day 1 but exceptions can be made for standout candidates.
Location: NYLCV’s headquarters are located in downtown Manhattan, with the opportunity for a hybrid schedule. This position will require minimal travel outside New York City.
Compensation and Title: NYLCV offers a competitive salary and title commensurate with experience (range of $70,000 and $80,000), along with holiday, vacation, 401k plan, transit benefits, flexible spending, and health/dental/vision benefits.
Process: Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted. Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
NYLCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace. We strongly encourage applications from all interested candidates.