The New York League of Conservation Voters (NYLCV) is the only statewide environmental organization in New York that fights for clean water, clean air, renewable energy, and open space through political action. We are non-partisan, pragmatic, and effective. Along with its sister organizations, the NYLCV Education Fund, NYLCV PAC, and NYLCV Gives Green, we educate the public about a broad range of important issues, evaluate the performance of elected officials, and endorse and elect by campaigning for the passage of laws during the legislative season and candidates in the electoral season.
The Clean Building Campaign Manager will be the lead staff for NYLCV and NYLCVEF’s building decarbonization work, under the direction of the Policy Director and the Senior Director of Programs. The position will work with state and local elected officials, stakeholders in the building construction, retrofitting, and financing world, and partners in the environmental advocacy and labor movements to advance building decarbonization policy.
The Clean Building Campaign Manager will draft educational materials and direct the development of white papers on building decarbonization and organize forums on the topic. The ideal candidate has familiarity with policymaking in New York State, has a broad knowledge of the environmental issues New York faces, and can translate technical information about buildings policy for a broad audience.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Work with the Policy Director and Deputy State Policy Director to craft a campaign plan and lobby state elected officials
- Collaborate on state building policy recommendations, including building performance standards, declining heating fuel emissions caps, and associated supporting programs and policies
- Work with NYLCV’s Education Fund to organize and implement policy forums that convene stakeholders to address building decarbonization
- Manage and oversee stakeholder, consumer, and industry outreach throughout New York State with a focus on Environmental Justice communities
- Collaborate with partners and experts to develop white papers on Building Decarbonization in New York with a focus on equity and a just transition, and create educational materials on resources available to building and homeowners owners for decarbonization activities.
- Work with the communications team on press releases, remarks and press events, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in government, non-profit, advocacy, or the private sector, with a preference for experience in the built environment or decarbonization policy.
- Familiarity with energy efficiency or building decarbonization program design and implementation, policies, codes, and financing helpful.
- Demonstrated ability to collect and disseminate large amounts of data and information. Experience with Tableau and data visualization is a plus.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including an ability to communicate technical information in lay terms.
- Excellent strategic, organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to establish, cultivate and maintain relationships with government officials and staff and organizational partners.
- Ability to think creatively and willingness to use technology and innovation to achieve organizational goals.
- Experience working with and building coalitions is a plus.
- Flexible and able to work more than 40 hours per week during the busiest times and switch tasks as priorities dictate.
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a small team.
Location: Flexible with opportunities in Albany, Long Island or NYLCV’s headquarters, located in downtown Manhattan. This position will require travel, in particular to Albany.
Compensation and Title: This is a full time, 2 years, term appointment with the possibility of extension or conversion to Career appointment based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. Salary and title commensurate with experience, with a range of $60,000 – $80,000. NYLCV offers paid holiday, vacation, a 401k plan, transit benefits, flexible spending, and health/dental/vision benefits.
Process: Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted. Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
NYLCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace. We strongly encourage applications from all interested candidates.