The New York League of Conservation Voters is the only statewide environmental organization in New York that fights climate change, conserves natural resources, and protects public health through political action. We’re non-partisan, pragmatic and effective. Along with its sister organizations, the NYLCV Education Fund and the NYLCV PAC, NYLCV educates the public about a broad range of important issues, evaluates the performance of elected officials, and endorses and elects by campaigning for the passage of laws during the legislative season and candidates in the electoral season.
We are seeking a dynamic individual to join our staff as Director of Communications. This position will take the lead on planning and carrying out all of the organization’s internal and external communications. Working closely with the President, policy, political, and development staff, the Director of Communications markets NYLCV’s brand and message through multiple communications channels and strategies, including traditional media and digital. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who is flexible, entrepreneurial, media- and tech-savvy, and a superior written and oral communicator.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Create and implement a strategic public relations plan.
- Advise NYLCV’s President on branding, communications strategy and messaging.
- Serve as the primary media contact for the organization, maintain relationships with reporters and editorial boards across New York State, and pitch stories, editorials, and op-eds.
- Provide communications expertise and support for issue-advocacy coalitions that NYLCV participates in, endorsed candidates, and NYLCV PAC independent expenditures.
- Play a leading editorial role in creating and approving content for NYLCV’s member e-mail communications including action alerts, weekly e-newsletters, fundraising appeals, report backs, event invites, etc.
- Produce print materials including newsletters, one-pagers, scorecards, policy agendas, etc.
- Draft speeches, remarks and talking points for NYLCV’s president and Board of Directors for press conferences, media appearances, and events.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 4 to 7+ years of relevant experience in communications, media relations, non-profit advocacy, political campaigns, or government.
- Experience or demonstrated interest in New York City and State politics, as well as environmental and sustainability policy.
- Strong strategic, analytical, organizational and problem solving skills, as well as attention to detail.
- Proven ability to be an effective and persuasive writer, editor, and communicator.
- Existing contacts with media outlets in New York. Prior on-the-record experience is a huge plus.
- Strong technological proficiency, including: Microsoft Office, Google Suite, WordPress, basic HTML, customer relationship software, and fluency within the Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat).
- Experience working within an organization’s brand guidelines and guardianship.
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a small team.
- Flexible, and able to switch tasks as priorities dictate.
Location: NYLCV’s headquarters are in downtown Manhattan. This position will require occasional travel to events and programming around New York State.
Compensation: NYLCV offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience, along with holiday, vacation, 401k plan, and health/dental benefits.
Process: Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted. Please send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.